Wednesday, August 5, 2009

America's Got Talent

This post is on a much-lighter-than-usual note. Allow me to explain:

For me, it can be a major challenge finding something to root for and follow during the month of July.
My daughter's baseball comes to an end then and, for all practical purposes, church league softball is finished, too.

Even though they have nearly half a season to go, my beloved Cincinnati Reds are usually "finished" by mid-July.
It's no different this year. The Redlegs overachieved most of the year staying around the .500 mark. However, a rash of season-ending injuries finally took its tool and stretched an already paper thin lineup too far.
The Reds offense is pretty punch-less. The pitching, which had been surprisingly good for most of the year, has worn out.

Pro and college football are still a few months away from getting started.
The fantasy football draft is not until late August.

The middle of summer feels like being in the dead zone of cell phone range...no connections...no activity...nothing!
Perhaps I would have been better off had I rooted for "rain" this July.

Ah, but when all looked lost, NBC has thrown me a lifeline.
The name of this oasis in the summer's desert of disappointments is called "America's Got Talent."
The show is a nationwide talent search for the next great entertainment act. I actually started getting "hooked" on the show last summer (season 3).

I really can't explain why I enjoy this show so much.
I just do.
I do know this, though: In times of trouble, our country has always turned to escapist entertainment to help it get by. Things haven't changed.
The show has a lot of energy (most of it very positive) delivered by the show's host, Nick Cannon, talent judges and contestants.
I also like the fact that the show highlights the talent of many average, every day American people.

Several auditions held across the country are over. Last week, nearly 200 acts were sent to Las Vegas, NV, where the judges (Piers Morgan, Sharon Osbourne, David Hasselhoff) narrowed the list down to a top 40.
This week, the top 40 moved on to Hollywood.

Of the top 40, here are my top 10 (1 being the highest):

(10) Texas Tenors/singers
(09) Charles Dewayne/singer
(08) Platt Brothers/creative dancers
(07) Barbara Padilla/singer
(06) Lawrence Beamen/singer
(05) Mario & Jenny/magic act
(04) Kevin Skinner/singer
(03) Voices of Glory/singer
(02) Ishaara/Bollywood dancing
(01) Acrodunk/sports entertainers

Some of the acts I really liked didn't make the top 40. Those were: the little Hawaiian girl who sang, the Spiritual Harmonizers (several Richmond, VA, postmen) and the little boy who played blues on his guitar.
However, through a new twist for season 4, some of the acts are being invited back as "wildcards." The first two wildcards competed last night (the Diva League and the girls from the Lake Houston Performing Arts Center) and, in my opinion, were pretty horrible. I'm still hoping some of favorite will find their way back to the AGT stage.

It's probably more critical to stay tuned to the economy, the war on terror and health care reform.
But, don't think less of me for taking a little time each week to follow America's Got Talent.

God bless,
Greg Herriford (Teen Mission, USA)

No comments: