Friday, June 6, 2008

Summer is here (ready or not)

Although the calendar may not yet say so, summer time has officially begun for me.

Friday is here, but it seems like it took forever.
It's been a crazy week!
With the arrival of summer, the pace of my schedule at Teen Mission picks up considerably.
Our first "summer" Mission Journey will leave tomorrow for Pascagoula, MS. It will be one of 20+ during the summer months (June-August).

Teen Mission, USA, had its quarterly board meeting on Monday (June 2nd).

This week has also included trips to two Vacation Bible School kickoffs. One was a Corinth Christian Church in Lawrenceburg, KY. The other was at Glencoe (KY) Church of Christ.
We had a beautiful evening on Sunday (June 1st) for the kickoff at Corinth. It is the home church for Teen Mission friends, E Paul, Lucille and Chuck Perry.
Matt Sawyer (Associate Minister) is a great guy. I enjoyed talking with him for an hour or so after the meeting.

On Wednesday evening (June 4th), I drove up I-75 to kickoff a VBS at Glencoe, KY.
I missed my exit off I-75 (at Dry Ridge) due to some daydreaming.
That forced me to travel about 6 more miles north to the next exit.
Not only did I loose some time, but I also ran into a terrible thunderstorm causing me to pull over for a few minutes (visibility was tough).
Once there, I had a great time. The folks were very excited about Teen Mission and getting involved in a mission trip sometime in the near future. Their VBS runs during the day next week.
This was my first-ever visit to Gallatin County. It turns out that the small community of Glencoe is a just a few minutes away from the KY Speedway in Sparta, KY.

Last night (Thursday, June 5th), I spoke at the Willing Workers class meal here at Gardenside. They are a great group of "senior" saints. I spoke on the subject of Heaven. I'm currently teaching on the subject with my adult Sunday School class here at GCC.
Tonight, I'm heading to Louisville to help setup some things for a mission trip there in a few weeks (June 22-28). Our team will be working with the College of Scriptures and a Spanish-speaking church (Nueva Vida).
We'll help College of the Scriptures (a preacher-training school for African-Americans) in their move to a new campus.

We've had an interesting week with the family.
My sister-in-law had surgery on Tuesday. She's doing fine and should come home from the hospital today.
Kelly and I helped with watch their 4 kids some this week.
It was a little extra burden, but their are really sweet kids and always a joy to be with.

On a sad note, Kelly's uncle (Wayne Sparks) passed away early on Wednesday morning (June 4th). His visitation will be tonight and funeral on Saturday at 2 pm.
Mr Sparks was a Methodist minister for many years and great man of God.
I'll miss visiting with him at family get-togethers.
We had a lot in common and I loved talking with him about the ministry, basketball and many other subjects.

God bless,
Greg Herriford

1 comment:

samIam said...

Keep up the good work, Mr. Mayor.